Thursday, March 30, 2006

Disturbing article on the war

English only - sorry. 英語だけーすみません。

The Guardian, a British newspaper, published an interesting article on the Iraq war and some protestors at www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,,1741942,00.html .

I found this article rather disturbing. If we are basically convincing our soldiers that Iraqi people are not humans, there is no wonder we are not doing well in winning the hearts and minds of Iraqis and other Islamic people.

I did protest the war prior to it starting, including going to one or two of the anti-war protests in San Francisco. I even believed there were WMDs in the country, but didn't think we should be preemptively starting a war. I did agree with attacking back in 1990 after Iraq invaded Kuwait, but not for the then-stated goal of just removing WMDs.

Once the war started, I did not protest. And I did not agree with the people who called for us to just pull out our soldiers immediately. This was because I felt that now that we made the mistake of starting the war, we must finish it and leave Iraq a much better place than it was, even though this would cost us a lot.

Unfortunately, I am losing hope that there is any chance of us being able to fix what we caused. Maybe the people who are calling for us to pull out are right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home